Tuesday 2 September 2014

Opinion: Why I Won't Look at Leaked Photos


Leaked, leaking, leak: it is a word that kind of revolts me in all its forms. It reminds me of a medical procedure gone wrong or an offensively smelling drain.

The ‘leaked photos’ of some female celebrities is one of the buzz news stories of the moment and I find the whole thing no less offensive than a drain that smells of other people’s poo.

Unless you have been living under a stone, you’ve probably heard that a whole host of female stars have had nude photographs stolen from them and leaked (ugh) onto the internet. I think a lot of people are under the misconception that once a photograph is in the public domain, it becomes public property and, therefore, it’s in some way ok to go and seek out these photos.

I would like to argue that it is not ok. I would like to argue that every time someone clicks on a stolen photograph of a person (no different from their daughter, sister, best friend or partner) it is endorsing the behaviour of people who think that going to great lengths to steal private shots is an acceptable thing to do. I would also like to argue that looking at these photographs is an absolute violation of the ladies involved and it only serves to further objectify the female body – to make it something x-rated, dirty or shady. I don’t see how this online assault is any different from someone trying to look up your skirt on a staircase or grab at your arse in a nightclub. 

Infamous celebrity blogger Perez Hilton was one of the first to post the stolen photos of one of the actresses involved on his site. In a candid confession he later posted to his website he admitted, “I posted the photos without really taking a moment to consider the repercussions of my actions,” and has since taken them down (after some pressure, I imagine, from his audience). I am pleased that many media outlets have taken such a negative stance on this situation, perhaps because of the sheer number of women who have had their right to privacy breached. I hope that it marks a step forward in ensuring that people's property is safe online as well as in real life. 

I truly believe that posting and passing on these photographs just facilitates whoever stole these pictures and encourages others to do the same. It encourages young boys in thinking it is ok to look at intimate, private parts of females without permission, and it has even encouraged some women to post their nudes on the internet in a form of warped solidarity with their idols. I would not do that. I will, however, stand shoulder to shoulder with females and level-headed members of society everywhere by refusing to hunt out photographs that were never intended for us. I will also continue to be a proud woman who believes that women have the right to express their sexuality without fear of abuse or harassment. And finally, I will remember that these ladies have talents that run far deeper than their flesh.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. i completely agree with this!! id love it if youd comment back http://www.amyelizabethfashion.com/2014/09/gluten-free-treats-with-udis.html xx

    ReplyDelete